Thursday, June 21, 2012

More Summer Beauty Buys: The Sunshine Edition

I'm a big fan of Jane Iredale Cosmetics, and though it's been out for a while now, I just recently decided to purchase their Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen.  With an SPF level of 30, this powder can be worn alone, under or over makeup, and also anywhere on the skin.  It's great for men (though it did appear powdery on Ryan's face when he let me try a dab, good sport that he is!) and children, too.  The powder's package can be a bit tricky to figure out, so here's a short tutorial to guide you.
The powder arrived in a beautifully wrapped package, with a lovely sprig of lavender and a sweet note.

 Powder-Me SPF with a mirror on the lid.


Once the lid is removed, the sponge applicator is visible. 
The powder comes in a small cylinder with a mirror on the top, and once you remove the lid, the sponge applicator is visible.  You then unscrew the applicator, dip it into the powder, and apply it to your skin.
Just unscrew the sponge, dip it into the powder, and apply.  Easy as pie!
Since I have oily skin and larger pores, I've found that this sunscreen works best if I apply it under my mineral foundation, rather than on top, where it settled into my skin a bit.  It took several days of experimenting to get the right look for me, but I'm happy with the powder and know that I'm getting plenty of protection from the sun.

I've also been applying it to my neck, chest area, and arms without any problems.  Once you rub it in, it basically disappears, and the best part, in my opinion, is that you can't feel the powder at all, so it's not heavy, like SPF lotions.  As far as sunscreen goes, this powder is definitely on the expensive side, but I can use it every day, in every season, all over my body, so it's worth the extra cost.

And, as a little gift inside my pretty package from Jane Iredale, I also received a deluxe sample of Tantasia Self Tanner.  Let me just say that my natural skin tone is pale, not in a lovely Dita Von Teese-alabaster-kind-of-way, but in a bright-white-snowblind-kind-of-way.  I'm okay with that and have never used a self-tanner, especially after listening to my sister recount the story of how she once applied too much tanner and used nail polish remover (acetone, anyone?) to try and, um, remove it. 

But, I figured I had nothing to lose, and so Saturday morning after my shower, I first applied my regular lotion, then a small amount of Tantasia to each leg.  I was really impressed by how well it went on, dried quickly, and left no streaks.  I made sure to rub it in until my legs were completely dry, and that was it.  There's already a slight glow, and since the lotion is buildable, I can keep using it this summer to safely darken my tan.

Of course, I'm quickly running out of my little sample, so Tantasia might soon end up on my Covet List, too.