Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy Birthday, Baby Boy!

Ryan took this photo of Rhys enjoying his ice cream sandwich after dinner.
You turn two today, sweet Rhys, and I can't believe how much time has passed since we welcomed you into our family on a hot summer's day in 2010.  You were so precious and tiny, and you filled our home with so much happiness and joy.  Daddy, James, and I have loved watching you grow into a sweet-natured, loving, little boy who likes Elmo and pop-up books.  You have such a gentle spirit, and everyone who meets you falls in love instantly.

James loves you as his playmate and best friend, and Daddy and I love your cuddly kisses and how snuggly you are all the time.  I know that you will soon leave your baby ways behind, my precious boy, but please don't be in such a hurry, because you are Mommy's last little one, and I treasure the moments that we spend together, just you and me.

I wish you a wonderful day, full of happiness and laughter, and maybe a new truck or two.  On Sunday, we will celebrate your birthday with everyone who loves you, and lots of Elmo cake, just like you asked.

When we were preparing for your birth, I made a list of songs for us to listen to, and I always think of the words to this one by Sarah McLachlan.  You were our second baby, the third grandson on one side, another boy.  Yet something as ordinary as that became such a wonderful miracle when we saw you, little one, and though I say this frequently, you are the icing on our cake and the period at the end of our sentence.  We love you, Rhys Racer, and we are so blessed to have you.

And though James is named after our Papa, you are the one who most resembles him.  When people ask where my blond baby came from, I just tell them you look like your grandfather, because the resemblance is striking, don't you think?

Papa (right) and his older brother.
 Happy birthday, my sweet, precious boy.  I love you with all my heart.