Sunday, July 3, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake

Almost one year ago, my sweet little Rhys was born in the most beautiful and healing way.  While I waited for the spinal to be placed before my c-section, my labor nurse tried to steady me as I struggled through those last painful contractions.  I will never forget her words that day.

As I leaned over the operating table into her arms, she held her hand to my mouth, offering up an invisible cupcake, and told me to blow out the candle because, "We are about to have a birthday and next year, there will be cake."  Her words, in that moment, calmed me instantly, and I was able to relax and think about my baby's imminent birth.

And yesterday, surrounded by family and friends, we celebrated Rhys' first birthday with good food, presents, and cake.  Just like she said we would. 



(Photo by Aunt MB; icing by Aunt Mo)