Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Mad Men" Madness

Ryan and I gave "Mad Men" a try a few years ago right after finishing the entire series, "The Wire."  Maybe it was the subtle plot line or the obvious sexism, but after two episodes, we kind of gave up.  We don't have cable and mostly watch shows via Netflix, but even still, it was impossible not to hear the hype from mainstream media about the show's popularity and influence.  And, as I searched for inspiration for our recent home renovation, I ran across post after post referencing the revival of mid-century modern (MCM) decor, thanks largely in part to "Mad Men."

I'm not in the habit of jumping on bandwagons, but after exhausting the limits of reality shows currently available on Netflix, I decided to give Don Draper and his crew another chance.  And this time, I was hooked.

Right now, I'm in the middle of season three, as Don courts the eccentric Conrad Hilton and Betty takes a sudden interest in, um, local politics.  (Interesting sidebar:  Chelcie Ross, who portrays Hilton, is an old college chum of my dad's; they were in ROTC at then-Southwest Texas State together, and both went on to serve in Vietnam as Air Force officers.  My dad looks a lot younger than Ross does, though.)

As much as I like the show, I have to limit my viewing, because it's easy to get sucked into the sadness, especially right before bed.  Such beautiful people leading such vapid lives leave little to look forward to, and yet we all come back night after night.  I know I do.

Tonight is the premiere of the show's fifth season, and I can't watch for the reasons I mentioned above.  I feel a bit left out and a little panicky, because I know I will probably finish season three this week, and that leaves only the 4th season to watch on Netflix.  So what's a girl to do then?  I have read that some die-hard fans refuse to watch the show until they can see the entire season all at once, so I guess I'll be in good company.

And recently, I ran out of my favorite pressed powder, which is amazing, but on the expensive side and only lasts about two months.  To get more bang for my buck, I hunted down Coty's Airspun Face Powder, after seeing it in a scene from "Mad Men."  My grandmother always kept a container in her bathroom and I used it as a teenager and liked it, but now it's not sold in many stores (I know, because I called around), though I did find it online.  And, on a whim, I decided to order some red lipstick, just for the heck of it.   And, yes, I do understand how product placement works, though I'm pretty sure Coty's presence in the scene was just an accurate detail.

Estee Lauder also launched a "Mad Men" line recently, which consists of a red lipstick and a cream blush.  So, even if you can't watch Betty Draper on television, you can still look like her, ice-princess that she is.

It really is a mad, mad, mad, mad world, but it's a lot of fun, too.