Monday, July 11, 2011

Too Private for Pinterest

So I've been reading and hearing a lot about Pinterest, the hot new site that lets you "catalog the things you love," according to its homepage.  In general, I like the concept of saving pictures and ideas for inspiration, and it's how I've been using the Bookmark function of my computer for years.

Now that my boys are a bit older and I'm not stuck up to my elbows in diapers and midnight feedings, I have a bit more time to explore things like decorating and, dare I say it, crafts.  So I've considered joining the site, which requires either an invite from a friend or adding your email to their waiting list.

Still, I'm the only person I know who isn't on Facebook and I'm nervous about this new site, too.  Even though I'm opinionated and not afraid to express my feelings on a public blog, for the amusement of my two or three readers, the fact is I'm extremely private in real life.

I destroyed my boys' blood samples, which you all know loud and clear; I close my blinds at dusk so the neighbors can't see into my house; and I still shut the door to the bathroom in front of my husband despite the fact that he has witnessed me give birth twice.  I have a problem sharing things with strangers, too, and I'm of the "Question Everything" mentality.

I'm not on Facebook because, honestly, the idea creeps me out and there are exactly two people from my high school with whom I wish to stay in contact.  One lives in New York City and we see each other once a year or so, and the other sleeps next to me at night.  The very thought of people from my past rising to the surface after years of anonymity literally gives me chills, and if I want to run into an old classmate I will just walk into the H-E-B near my parents' house and wait a minute.

I hate to sound crass, but we live in a true culture of sharing, the very idea that Pinterest seeks to promote, and every neighborhood in my town is bordered by Target, Ross Dress for Less, and Pier 1.  If you see something you like at a friend's house, you can stop on the way home and get one just like it.  But where's the fun in that?  What happened to being unique and finding your own style? 

I'm all for sharing creativity with the world, and I do believe art and literature are the great equalizers, but it often feels like nothing is sacred any longer and, even though I live in the suburbs with two children and a two-car garage, I'd like to keep some things private.  I'm probably over-analyzing this way too much, but that's just me.

I never went to any of my high school's football games, even though attendance was practically a graduation requirement; I almost lost a job because I refused to wear a college sports team's shirt during College Sports Week; and I was the only consultant in my unit, during my short stint as a Mary Kay saleslady, who never wore a suit.  I don't have a problem with authority, I swear, but I'm also not quick to follow trends. 

I think the idea behind Pinterest is really cool, and it will rid the world of piles and piles of pages ripped out from magazines.  I'm just not sure I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon yet.  Maybe if they allow private profiles, but probably not even then.

**Update:  So, I received my invitation to join Pinterest, and you must login through your Facebook or Twitter account, neither of which I have.  Problem solved, I guess.