Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cesarean Awareness Month

I can't let April pass without mentioning Cesarean Awareness Month once again.  My family is complete now, and I am fully at peace with the birth of my sons, which is a wonderful, wonderful feeling.  I've been honest about my struggles in the past, and I know that my experiences have shaped me into the woman and mother I am today.  A bit like the lady in this poem.  Oh, and April is also National Poetry Month, so this ties in nicely, don't you think?

Truth in Advertising

 If we'd moved her,
she'd still have 'em,

the ad for Acme
Moving says, with a photo

of Venus de Milo.
But who, intact,

would Venus be?
Some standard-issue

ingénue. Give me
a woman who's lived

a little, who's wrapped
her arms around the ages

and come up lacking: that's
the stone that can move me.

--Andrea Cohen