Sunday, January 20, 2008

Closer Every Day

I heard on the radio this morning that the United States will inaugurate our newly elected president a year from today. But we'll know who he or she is much earlier in the game, so take heart. If you aren't happy with the way things are going (and really, who is?), then make sure to vote in the coming elections. And if you aren't registered yet, do it today. There's still plenty of time.

My grandmother was a baby when women finally won the right to vote, and she always voted in every election, even the smaller, local ones. She used to take me with her sometimes, and she'd also make cakes and cookies for the clerks working the polls. It was her way of supporting the process, I guess.

In 2004, I worked as a voting clerk on election day. It was one of the most exhilarating things I've ever experienced, and it truly made me feel like part of the process.

I won't comment on the candidates here, even though my cattiness is killing me. With a former governor in special underwear, a minister who wants to take away the basic rights of women, and that guy from Law & Order, there's not much I need to say. Okay, I couldn't resist.

Just do your part. You don't have to bake any cakes or sign people in. Just go vote. I promise, you'll be glad you did.