Monday, January 21, 2008

Remembering Dr. King

I am sitting here wanting
Memories to teach me--
To see the beauty in the world
Through my own eyes.
Since you've gone and left me,
There's been so little beauty--
But I know I saw it clearly through your eyes.

Now the world outside
Is such a cold and bitter place
Here inside I have few things that will console
And when I try to hear your voice
Above the storms of life
Then I remember all the things that I was told.

I think on the things that made me feel
So wonderful when I was young
I think on the things that made me laugh,
Made me dance, made me sing
I think on the things that made me
Grow into a being full of pride
I think on these things, for they are truth.

--
excerpts from "Wanting Memories" by Ysaye Maria Barnwell of Sweet Honey in the Rock