Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Light Summer Reading

My light summer reading list.  Can you tell I took this picture with a borrowed camera?

My all-time favorite pastime is reading, but since I began my blogging class, I've been neglecting the stack of books on my bedside table and spending too much time in front of the monitor and keyboard.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing, since I'm writing my heart out, but if I'm not constantly reading, then what will I blog about?  As I'm getting into a writing routine, I'm working to find a balance between writing and reading that is still fun and inspiring.

Lately, I've been enjoying a new subscription to Lucky Magazine, a free gift with purchase from Sephora.  I've noticed that several online beauty stores are offering free magazine subscriptions lately, so I always choose that option instead of a small sample product, since it's definitely more bang for your buck.  When I stocked up on some facial wash recently, I also scored subscriptions to More Magazine and Better Homes and Gardens, all of which will keep me busy for at least a year.

 
I'm also finding inspiration in The French-Inspired Home by Texas designer, Carolyn Westbrook.  Her work is beautiful, and it's fun to stare at such gorgeous rooms before falling asleep at night.  And just this week, I received my copy of Cupcakes and Cashmere by Emily Schuman, based on her elegant blog of the same name.  It's truly inspiring to see a blogger I admire publishing her first book, and the work is literally filled with stunning pictures and helpful hints on every subject from seasonal beauty to vintage shopping.

But the icing on the cake this summer has got to be the precious copy of Cinderella, illustrated by Roberto Innocenti, that I bought to read to the boys.  But really, who am I kidding?  They haven't even seen it yet, because I am enjoying it too much to share.

I was not previously familiar with Innocenti's work, but his 1920s-style illustrations are truly captivating and add a new sense of glamour to my favorite fairy tale.  In this edition, Cinderella wears a sleek black bob and, with the dapper prince on her arm, bears a striking resemblance to a certain American woman who stole the heart of the future King of England.  It's a fun take on an age-old love story, and the pictures are nothing short of spectacular.  Here are a few to inspire you.

Roberto Innocenti's Cinderella.

The stunning title page.
At the ball.
After the wedding.
What's on your reading list this summer?  I'd love to hear!