Thursday, April 5, 2012

On Courage

While I was at the salon today, I overheard several women of different ages sharing their birth stories with a young stylist, who is newly pregnant, and some of her co-workers.  I wasn't part of this conversation, but it was impossible for me to ignore their discussion, and it reminded me yet again how very important birth is in all of our lives.

There are those that will say it doesn't matter how a baby enters this world, but ask any new mother and she will agree that birth changes you.  It's important, and it does matter.  How could a group of women sit with foil-wrapped hair and share their stories, some in painstaking detail, with complete strangers if it did not?

April is Cesarean Awareness Month and I'm reposting this piece because it is so beautifully written and meaningful.  I cannot read it without tears.

My sister is in the midst of her own defining birth story, one that will likely play out over the course of the next few weeks and months, and she and her unborn baby can truly use your prayers.  She is the very essence of courage, and I admire her so much.