Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Golden Globes

I don't usually watch the Golden Globes, but I did catch a bit of this year's awards, so you know I can't keep my mouth shut.

I'm thrilled that Meryl Streep won Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy for Julie and Julia, and hopefully that seals the deal for her Oscar win, too. I'm also excited that Grey Gardens won Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television and Drew Barrymore won for Best Actress in that category. The Maysles' documentaries are phenomenal, and the movie version of Big and Little Edie Bouvier Beales' lives was incredible, as well. Just like Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia, both Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore literally transformed into those eccentricly amazing women.

Mo'Nique's win for Best Supporting Actress in Precious was also fantastic, and she gave a touching speech. I have yet to see the movie, but I've heard wonderful things about it.

And, of course, my heart is filled with Glee as I celebrate my new favorite TV show's win for Best Musical or Comedy. I'm just sad that I have to wait until April (April!!) for a new episode.

I'm less than thrilled with Avatar's win, because I do not watch movies with weird-looking, alien-like creatures who resemble Brendan Fraser. Nor am I a fan of Mr. "King of the World," James Cameron, but whatever. At least I have a list of new movies for my queue, once they are available on DVD.

And, last but not least, this wouldn't be my blog without a bit of cattiness. I actually liked most of the dresses I saw, and I felt bad for everyone because it was raining. But, Rita Wilson chose to wear a print dress that looked like an old pair of drapes. I've never thought of her as a style maven at all, but I saw her on an episode of Oprah this week, talking about having style at any age, and I should have known something was up when she recommended that all women between the ages of 20 and 60 keep a pair of leather leggings in their closets as a fashion staple. Seriously, Rita? You didn't even bother to take your own advice and ask your friends about your outfit. Or maybe you did, and they were too afraid to tell Mrs. Tom Hanks the awful truth. Either way, I felt sorry for you. I hope your new show works out.

Now, do those leggings come in maternity sizes?