Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bad Mommy

Babycakes and I are creatures of habit, and we both really enjoy our morning walk around the neighborhood. It gets us out of the house for a bit when we aren't running errands or meeting friends, and it also helps him relax enough to take a morning nap. It's been raining all week long, which we desperately need, but that means we've been a bit cooped up. Today, the rain was extremely light, so I decided to venture out.

I dressed Babycakes in pants and socks, which he hates, and bundled him up in a blanket inside his jogging stroller. I pulled the canopy down all the way, so he was literally as snug as a bug in a rug, and he made sure to let me know it. Halfway through our walk, he started kicking and fussing for me to remove the blanket, so I did.

That's when it started to rain, and it only got heavier as we continued to walk. It wasn't pouring, by any means, just the steady stream of drops that we've had all week. As we rounded a corner on our way back home, a car passed me and then turned around. I thought the woman inside might be lost, and as she pulled up alongside me, I expected her to ask for directions. Instead, she rolled down her window and asked, "Would you like an umbrella?"

I politely thanked her and said we were almost home, and she drove off. In hindsight, though, I should have told her it was a lost cause, since Babycakes already has the swine flu.

Oink, oink!