Sunday, August 24, 2008

Placenta Dementia

My friend, A, who is a trimester ahead of me, warned of the dangers of "pregnancy brain," but I somehow thought I could escape them. Surely not Cakewalk; she who is always in control and can anticipate situations before they happen. She who controls her life and calendar with an iron fist. She who is the model of cleanliness and organization. She cannot succumb to the terrors of placenta dementia.

Boy, was I wrong! Forgetfulness, clumsiness, and downright stupidity have taken over, and I fear they will continue to worsen before they improve. While I haven't set fire to the kitchen yet, I have:
  • put my car in reverse, only to wonder why it wouldn't move forward.
  • asked my husband the same question, or told him the same piece of information, repeatedly in a span of five minutes.
  • forgotten the date on numerous occasions, though I have yet to forget a doctor's appointment.
  • forgotten my parents' 32nd wedding anniversary (by far, the worst of my failures).
  • made ridiculous typos that would normally cause me to cringe, only I never noticed them (ex: "boiling" for "bowling").
  • bumped into walls or cabinets repeatedly.
  • knocked over, too many times to count, the glass of water that I always keep by the kitchen sink.
  • forgotten my phone number on important forms.
And the list goes on and on. Just ask my husband. The worst part is that I've read most new mothers experience a short period of extreme forgetfulness or memory loss after giving birth, and if that's the case, then I am really in for it.

Now, where am I?