Tuesday, April 1, 2008

There be lines...

So you've seen the infamous test that sent my family into a tizzy, but here's how it all came about. And before I continue, I solemnly swear that this blog will not become a place for all things baby. I do have other interests and concerns; I just happen to have baby on the brain at the moment. Specifically, my baby. Babycakes.

I honestly didn't have any tell-tale pregnancy symptoms, other than a strange tightness near the small of my back, when I crept into the bathroom at 6 a.m. Sunday morning to take a test. I have to explain that my husband absolutely hates when I take a pregnancy test early, a monthly rite of passage for die-hard TTCers (Trying to Conceive). I know he doesn't like to see me disappointed, but I am like an addict looking for a fix, though for me, it's in the form of double pink lines.

My first attempt, which involved a plastic cup, my urine, and a thin strip of paper, combined with my sleepiness at the early hour, was inconclusive, due to the fact that I dropped the whole test into my cup of urine. I definitely saw two lines, but they were blurry and dye-smeared. So, of course, I had to test again properly. The second test revealed an extremely faint second line, but nothing truly visible, so I hid the tests under the sink and went back to bed, thinking nothing of it.

When I woke again at 9 a.m., I checked the tests and saw distinct, clear lines, but I chalked them up to evaporation lines, which occur as the test dries and are not an indication of pregnancy. If you don't believe me, just ask the millions of women who have dug tests out of the garbage, hours or days after being taken. Come on, you know you've done it!

Since I knew I saw something, I needed confirmation, and headed into the computer room to get my husband. The exchange that occurred is as follows:

"Please don't freak out, but I need to show you something in the bathroom."

"I already know."

(Oh crap!) "You do?"

"Yeah, the dark lines?"

(What the heck?) "Umm, yeah..."

"The dark grout around the toilet. I think there might be a small leak."

"No, I'm talking about other dark lines."

He then followed me into the bathroom and agreed that he could see lines, though they were faint and slightly gray, which could indicate evaporation lines. There were some tears shed on my part, but we decided to wait it out and test again the next day.

After breakfast, of course, my utter curiosity (or addiction, as my husband sees it), got the best of me and I consulted my trusty pregnancy test website, Peeonastick.com. That girl has done her homework, let me tell you, and she really knows her stuff. According to her site, the tests I used detect 25 mIU/mL of hCG, the hormone produced in early pregnancy. I clearly did not have enough to test positive on those tests quite yet.

But...the First Response Early Result hiding at the back of my cabinet has been known to detect levels as low as 12 mlU/mL, even though they advertise 25 (hence, the Early Result), so I figured I had a pretty good shot at it. And that, my friends, is the test you see. Not too shabby for lunch time urine, if I do say so myself.

Since that time, I've been achy all over, and it feels like I've been in a fight. I'm not complaining, of course, since, as my husband keeps reminding me, this is exactly what I've been waiting for. I'm already noticing an increased appetite and fatigue, which is saying a lot, since I'm always tired anyway. But, like I said, it is all worth it, and I will gladly endure whatever comes my way.

My first doctor's appointment is Friday, and I ask that you will continue to pray for all (three!) of us. I'll keep you posted.

And don't worry, I'm still watching The Bachelor.