Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Earthquake!!

So, I get pregnant, and the very next week, there's an earthquake here in Texas, just miles from the family farm in Panna Maria. An earthquake, here in Texas! Registering 3.7 on the Richter scale!

According to Diana Sherman, a clerk at the Busy Beaver convenience store in Falls City, "I heard a boom, a shake and rattling of my walls and windows. I thought my sweetheart had done fallen out of the bed."

My husband, always the skeptic, doubts the story. And so do some seismologists, it seems. This area of Texas is known for its oil and gas reserves, and scientists think the "quake" was due to fluid extraction. But
Don Blakeman, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, begs to differ. According to him, earthquakes in this area of Texas are fairly common, and there have been at least eight quakes reported here since 1983.

Sounds plausible to me. And Babycakes is due in December, so you know what that means.

Hell is freezing over...

(Thanks to
Sara Inés Calderón from the San Antonio Express-News for her informative and colorful article)