Friday, January 18, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Idiots...

I may be from Texas, but I am not a football fan. Not in the slightest. I did, however, read with great interest an article in my local paper about former Dallas Cowboy Herschel Walker.

It seems Walker is about to release a book detailing his struggles with multiple personality disorder, or dissociative identity disorder, as it is also known. Now, I am not mocking this poor man. One of my sisters is a social worker, and after listening to her stories (most of which are not fit to print), I have lots of empathy for people with mental illness. Not to mention the fact that it seems to run in my family. (I think it's got something to do with the heat.) But, still...

When told about the upcoming book, Walker's former coach Vince Dooley replied, "
That's all news to me. All I know is whatever personality he had when he had the football was the one I liked."

Maybe those shorts coaches wear (you know the ones I'm talking about) cut off some precious blood flow to the brain. Like when I taught middle school, and the football coach found out I was from San Antonio. "Don't you just love the Mexican people?" he asked. Then, "I'll bet you've eaten at The Hungry Farmer."

Wait, what?