Thursday, May 10, 2012

In TIME for Mother's Day

This is the cover of TIME Magazine, which is on newsstands tomorrow.  It's obviously going to cause controversy just as everyone in the country is taking their mother out to lunch at a crowded restaurant Sunday afternoon.  And, honestly, who cares?

I'm not going to write a post about the joys of extended breastfeeding, but let's just say I've done that.  And this.  And I'm still doing this.  And it works for my family and me.  But it's definitely not for everyone, and I most definitely respect that.

I just wish it wasn't meant to shock, and that these moms would not be judged so harshly, especially as we celebrate motherhood this weekend.  Like I've said before and will say again, they are doing what's best for their children and themselves, and you can't find fault in that.

But they are not better than other moms, though the article's title might imply that.  Motherhood is not a competition, even if it sometimes feels that way, and there is no gold medal to be won.  Just children to love and time to spend together on a special day. 

And on a lighter note, look what James made me for Mother's Day, with a little help from his teachers.  I am most impressed. 


Happy Mother's Day!  I hope it is a wonderful one for you.