Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Waylon and Big Bird and the Boys"

So I love Amy Winehouse, but I also love country music.  Especially classic country, like Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Waylon Jennings, and George Strait (I guess he's old enough to be classic now).  It reminds me of my childhood and those Saturday evenings when my dad would drive us to Dairy Queen in his blue truck, the windows down and music blaring all the way.  Sure, we lived in the suburbs, but as we drove down the road with open fields on each side, it felt like country to me.

Well, the other day after James' nap, my husband put on Follow that Bird, the old Sesame Street movie, that was streaming on Netflix.  James fell in love with Big Bird and his quest to return to Sesame Street after being sent to live with a foster family of Dodo birds.

At one point in his journey, Big Bird hitches a ride in a turkey truck, driven by none other than Waylon Jennings, and they sing this song.  After hearing it once, James was hooked, and we listen to it all the time now. "Look Mama," he told me, "it's my song."

I love sharing things with my boys, and I hope this will be a happy memory for James, too.