Saturday, May 28, 2011

This Woman's Work*

Lately, my days are spent playing referee to my two little boys who seem intent upon wrestling each other all day long.  I'm convinced I need to invest in a black-and-white ref shirt, a pair of coaching shorts that leave nothing to the imagination (you know the kind I mean), and a really loud whistle.   On days like that, I appreciate a blog post like this one

And then something happens that brings you back to reality.  This week, my sister lost her unborn baby.  While it is not my story to tell, I will say that she has handled her grief with grace and beauty, and I admire her strength and courage immensely.

Motherhood is hard work*.  It's the hardest job I've ever had, and I've worked retail, taught middle school, and written a master's thesis.  I'm reminded of this fact every day, and I am rewarded with the love I see in the faces of my two precious boys.

I'm not one to put much stock in inspirational sayings, but recently, I opened a fortune cookie to find the phrase, "Treasure what you have."  Of course, the old high school joke is that you are supposed to add "in bed" to the end of your fortune.

And this is what's in my bed.


* From She's Having a Baby, directed by John Hughes