Friday, March 25, 2011

Beer Credit

So my husband has recently become a homebrewer, which means he spends lots of time reading about beer, talking about beer, and making beer in our garage.  He's spent a small fortune on all sorts of tubes and buckets, and currently there's a 55-pound bag of barley in our laundry room.  Not to mention the keg that is also fermenting in the closet of our guest bathroom.

I'm not a beer drinker, and I know even less about making it.  I do know that it's a long process, and his "brew day" Saturdays require extra work from me, because he is unable to watch our boys while he's slaving over a hot cauldron for five hours.  I know it sounds bad, but it beats the 12-hour marathon of smoking a brisket, which he used to do quite frequently.

And then there are his nights out with our brother-in-law, a fellow homebrewer, in which they drink beer, discuss beer, and exchange some of the tubes, buckets, and bags of barley I mentioned earlier.

But I am not complaining, because with each purchase my husband makes, combined with his hours spent brewing, I earn Beer Credit, and get to spend a little money of my own on fun things, like this bracelet that I just ordered from Etsy.

You'll notice the lovely butterfly charm, which would go quite nicely with this little cosmetic bag, don't you think?

I may be a brew widow, but at least I'll look cute as I grieve.