Monday, November 8, 2010

On Governors and Good Hair

The late, great Molly Ivins always called our current governor, "Good Hair Perry," and last week, Good Hair won again. For the third freaking time. I watched a bit of his acceptance speech, and let me just say that his wife, Anita, does not share his lustrous locks, poor thing.

In totally unrelated news, but along the same theme, it seems that the daughter of Maria Shriver and California's governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, has written a book about young women's issues. Katherine Schwarzenegger is also the Youth Ambassador for the Dove Movement for Self-Esteem.

Now, I was a young girl once and I have two younger sisters, so I'm all for promoting realistic body images. I think the Dove moment, in general, is a good idea, though it's sad that something like that even has to exist in popular culture. But, if you take a look at the cover of Miss Schwarzenegger's book, you know she's not using Dove shampoo.

In fact, a friend of mine has a daughter who attends the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders, and she happened to be there last Friday as Katherine Schwarzenegger arrived for her book signing. Upon seeing her for the first time, my friend told her young daughter, "That's her!" When the daughter asked how my friend knew, she replied, "because nobody has hair like that in real life."

Maybe Anita Perry can learn a thing or two from Katherine Schwarzenegger.