Friday, August 6, 2010

Venturing Forth

I've been out and about several times with both boys (sans husband) now, and it's getting easier each time. I just wish the Texas heat would let up a bit, because it definitely limits our activities and the length of our neighborhood walks. I'm not one to wish away the days, but I am looking forward to the cool autumn mornings that will arrive around, um, November.

Last week, I took J. for a badly needed haircut, and little R. tagged along, not that he really had any choice. The salon receptionist and the stylist chatted about their own grown children, and the stylist mentioned that her daughter, now grown, did not want to go to college after graduating from high school. The stylist made her get a job at Dairy Queen, which made me laugh hysterically. "Did it do the trick?" I asked. The stylist assured me that it did, after one paycheck, and her daughter is now a registered nurse.

Then, at church last Sunday, an older gentleman, upon seeing Baby R. for the first time alongside his brother, offered to loan my husband and me a book that describes where babies come from. As if we didn't know. Honestly, he should lend it to the even older gentleman who had just asked me where Baby R. came from. He caught me off guard, and all I could think to say was, "From us!"